Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bb is for Baseball and "Blueberries for Sal"

Yesterday we took the boys to their first Major League Baseball game - KC Royals vs. Oakland A's.  Adam has been wanting to go, and a friend from church had some tickets that he wasn't going to be able to use.  We figured it would make another fun field trip - after all, we have been learning about the Letter Bb, and Bobby B likes to play baseball!  We had a lot of fun!  At one point, one of the camera men shot right on Adam, Evan, and Alan, and the three of them were up on the huge screen!  Evan thought that was really awesome, and kept asking if he could be on 'TV' again.  I couldn't get my camera ready fast enough to take a picture of it.

Evan kept asking when he would get to play catch!

Alan enjoying his first MLB game with Daddy!

It was a fun day, but a really long day.  We got home late and the boys were still tired all day today.  Normally, I do all my cleaning and laundry on Monday, so everything got shifted back a day.  I just let the boys play and take it easy today.  In between playing, cleaning, and napping, we were able to start on our next B4FIAR story:  "Blueberries for Sal" by Robert McCloskey.

After we read the story, I hid little blueberry cards all over the room.  Evan got to 'pick' blueberries, just like Sal.  He kept asking me if he could eat them, like Sal did.  I told him that we would buy some blueberries at the store tomorrow.  We then used the little blueberry cards with a Math Mat that I had made for him.  I put little magnets on the back of the blueberry cards and the number cards, so that he could stick them onto the cookie sheet.  I would put a number on, and he would put that many blueberries in the bucket.  He wanted to go back and forth, so he would then put a number on and have me fill the bucket with the appropriate number of blueberries.

Blueberries for Sal Math Mat
Evan loves to paint, and he loves marbles, so he was pretty excited about our art project today.  I helped him put blue finger paint on the edges of a cake pan.  Then he put in the marbles and shifted the pan around.  As the marbles rolled through the paint and across the paper, they made interesting designs.  Now he has a picture of his very own Blueberry Bush to put in his "Blueberries for Sal" Lapbook.

Making a picture of a 'Blueberry Bush.'
After I cleaned the marbles off, he wanted to carry his 'blueberries' around in a bucket.  He ran and got a bucket from the playroom and dropped each marble in.  One of his favorite parts of the story, is when Sal drops the blueberries in her bucket and hears them make noises - "kuplank, kuplink, kuplunk."  Evan kept making these noises as he dropped in each marble.

"kuplank, kuplink, kuplunk"

1 comment: