Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Number 3 and Dd is for Dinosaur

Today we continued discussing the fact that God made light.  I was so proud of Evan.  He is now able to say Genesis 1:3 all by himself - "And God said, Let there be light and there was light."  He was really proud too and got to put another sticker on his memory verse chart.  He is now up to 5 verses!  He recites them all every day after we say the Pledge of Allegiance.  To go along with our discussion of the creation of light, Evan colored, cut out and glued together a candlestick.  I wrote Genesis 1:3 on his paper and we hung it up on the bulletin board.  

Coloring his candlestick.

Gluing the candlestick pieces on.  He wanted a blue candle on blue paper.
 I am working on getting Evan to write the first letter of his name, so I started writing the E with dashes and letting him trace it.  Here he is tracing his name. 

Writing his name on his paper.
We started to learn about the Number 3 today.  We got out the number puzzle and sang "1-2-3, Jesus Loves Me."  We practiced counting 3 things and Evan attempted to write the number 3.  I'm not so concerned about writing the numbers right now.  We mainly work on recognition.  Writing numbers is a skill that we'll work on more later.  To go along with the Number 3, we read "The Three Little Pigs" and "The Three Silly Billies" (a retold version of "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" - the library didn't have that one in!)  I had also checked out a video version of "The Three Little Pigs" and "The Three Billy Goats Gruff".  Evan had already been watching this video before today, so he practically had the story memorized.  At one point during the story, I said (in my deep mean wolf voice) "Then I'll huff and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down."  Evan stopped me and said, "No Mommy, that's not how it goes.  It goes like this: [in his deep mean wolf voice] 'Then I'll huff and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in.'"  Oh sorry, Evan.  Silly kid!  But he was right.  Sure enough, the book said 'in' not 'down'.  I'll know better next time! :)

Putting the number puzzle back together.

Counting to and writing the Number 3.
Evan did a worksheet matching items in groups of 1, 2, and 3.  Then we made another foot print.  He loves when we make hand and foot prints.  After we made the print, I made 3 dots and wrote the number 3 on one foot.  He then did the same on the other foot.

Counting worksheet.

Proud of his Number 3 footprint!
Evan then made a Number 3 Train.  Alan always wants to help Evan color, so they colored the train together.  Then he decorated his train with Number 3 Henry stickers.  He loves his trains and wanted this one up with his Thomas and Edward train too.

Alan helping Evan color the Number 3 Train.

"Look, here's Mommy Henry, Evan Henry, and Alan Henry!"

Thomas, Edward, and Henry Trains hanging on the board.
Then we continued learning about the Letter Dd.  Evan did a worksheet and practiced writing the Letter Dd.  He circled the Dd's at the beginning of each word.  One of the Dd words on his sheet was dinosaur.  We focused on Dd is for Dinosaur the rest of the day.  He glued a picture of a dinosaur in his Dd Lapbook.  One of his favorite movies to watch (at Nana and Papa's house) is "The Land Before Time."  I thought it would be neat to make Little Foot and Cera.  He had seen the pieces in the Dd Lapbook yesterday and woke up this morning asking if we could make Little Foot today.  He loved his little dinosaur characters and put on a little puppet show with them.  I couldn't make out all that he was saying, but I did hear him say something like, "Cera, will you come to the Great Valley with me?  Little Foot and Cera are friends.  They are going to find more tree stars and eat and eat.  AHHHHH, here comes Sharp Tooth."  I guess he pretty much summed up the movie right there!  After the puppet show, he wanted to get out all of his toy dinosaurs and play.  Alan wanted in on this and quickly grabbed onto Little Foot.  The boys have been playing with dinosaurs all night.  When I asked Evan who made the dinosaurs, he said, "God, and Adam named them!"  YEAH!  I was so proud of him.  We read lots of dinosaur books, but I especially like "God Made Dinosaurs" by Brad Harrub.  It has several pictures with dinosaurs and people together and talks about how it would have been fun to have a dinosaur as a pet and seeing them run across your yard.  I'm glad that my 3 year old can understand that dinosaurs and people were created on the same day and lived together.  Too bad most of the extremely intelligent scientists and well, most people in general, don't know this.  Or won't accept it.  I don't know which!

Practicing writing the Letter Dd.

Dd is for Dinosaur.

Piecing together Little Foot and Cera.

"Come on Cera, let's go to the Great Valley."

Alan playing with Little Foot.
 
Evan lining up a bunch of his dinosaurs.
You may have noticed in the pictures, but I dressed Evan in his dinosaur outfit today too, to go along with our theme Dd is for Dinosaur!

1 comment:

  1. Mr Evan - Papa REALLY liked your lesson today! Do you remember the dinosaurs at the Creation Museum? Maybe Mommy has some pictures from your visit with us. You get an A+ on your lesson today!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete